Tuesday, January 09, 2007

My Sister

Growing up I was the oldest of two kids. I have a younger brother. My parents were married for over 20 years before they divorced. They divorced when I was a senior in high school. My dad elected for some 'extra curricular activities' outside of the marriage. Apparently this was not the first time, but this was the first time I was old enough to see the toil that it took on my mother. I told her that both she and I could move out or I was going to, but I was not going to stand by and idly watch my father grind her down emotionally and mentally.
Now I knew that my father wasn’t a saint. Sadly I had figured out on my own that this wasn’t the first time he had messed around on my mom. I often joked that knowing my father, I probably had brothers and sisters I didn’t know existed.

Imagine my shock, but yet not, when one day when my dad called and said, “Do you remember me telling you that you might have a sister?” Excuse me. A what? Nope dad. Don’t think you ever mentioned that one to me. “Well you have an older sister and she has contacted me.”

So I found out at the age of 25 that I was not the oldest child in the family. I had an older sister. She is 3 years older than me. Her mom and dad went to the same high school. My dad was older, so he had graduated and went off to college. When he found out that my sister’s mother was pregnant, he offered the obligatory marriage proposal. She declined. Thus stating, that the child was not his and for him not to worry about it. Joyfully relieved, my father skipped back to college. I am sure in his teenage heart he knew that the child WAS his, but yet he opted to ignore the obvious. I mean, heck, he was off the hook, right? My sister’s grandmother proceeded to pack up her pregnant daughter and move off to another town. I was told that upon my sister’s birth, my grandparents drove to the town where she was born to peek at her through the nursery window. I was told when they saw her, they knew she was dad’s child based upon her features. In the meantime, my dad met and married my mom.

My sister and I are close now, well not very close, but close enough I guess. She lives in a town about 30 miles from me. We look alike in the face, but she is taller than me and more slender. In fact when she was pregnant, her face was a little fuller and I think we looked more alike then.

When I first found out about her we corresponded through letters. She sent me pictures of her through the years growing up. There was one picture of her that I swear could have been of me. More so than we look alike, we think alike.

I meet my sister for the first time in December 1993. We had not even known each other a year before my birthday rolled around in the fall of 1994. We talked, but we weren’t that close. On my birthday, I got a pretty bouquet of fall flowers from her. There was a card that said, “Thinking of you!” I thought it was a little strange that it said "Thinking of you" instead of "Happy Birthday", but it didn't matter. I called her to thank say thank you. She told me that I had been on her mind all day and that she just couldn’t stop thinking about me. I laughed. I thought that she was being sarcastic and making a joke since it was my birthday. I said, “Well I guess so since it IS my birthday today!” Silence. She didn’t say anything, then she said, “Are you serious? It is? I had NO idea.”

7 comments:

Vi said...

Wow, that must have freaked you out Kris.

Woodrow said...

Something to think about, huh?

Freddy said...

spooky!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to make lemonade out of lemons!!

*That sister bond...cool!!

Tobiwan said...

Genetics is some pretty interesting stuff. I looked at some pics recently of my relatives and was amazed the resemblance they have with my own daughter.

My daughter, in fact, is an exact carbon copy of my twin sister in her younger years. I'm interested to see who she looks like the older she gets.

always kris said...

My dad said the first time he met/saw my sister, when she walked up to him and saw his eyes, she said, "Now I know where I get these eyes from!" They both have these steel grayish blue eyes. She said she often wondered why noone else in her family had that color eyes. Growing up, she was led to beleive that her stepdad was her real father.

Mummy said...

thats a cool story ... how freaky is that wtih the flowers and thinking of you, brill!

Toby - i also think your daughter looks like your sis!