Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Scrooge

Can you believe that I dont have one Christmas decoration hung or out at my house? The only piece of evidence that Christmas is even near is the one Christmas card that I got on Saturday. It was from a lady that I used to work with. The only gift I have even bought is a $5 CD from Walmart to put in my hubby's stocking. I have a lot of gifts that I want to buy, but my checkbook is just not cooperating! I cant seem to get in the Christmas spirit this year. I am feeling a lot like Scrooge.

My daughter came home from school last week telling me that her PE coach was diagnosed with leukemia. He is also an assistant basketball coach. My daughter had to cheer this weekend at a game. We had to leave the house at 7:00am Saturday. During halftime of the game, there was a commotion in the crowd. Apparently the coach wasnt feeling good and they had taken him the hospital. He had a stroke and suffered an aneurysm. He died Sunday morning. He was 33 years old.

EDITED: Its not fair that we as parents should have to watch our chidren suffer through these lessons in life. It is killing me watch my daughter struggle with this. I was a sophomore in high school before I had to deal with the devastation of losing a classmate. I know this teacher was not a classmate, but he was so young. That is the point that she keeps making over and over. I think knowing that he is younger than I am and he died, keeps reminding her that something could happen to me or her dad that fast. He just found out he had leukemia on the 21st of November.

And to let you all know, I did go out at lunch and make my first real Christmas purchases! The Hallmark store had some beautiful, heavy platters to put cookies on. They were an excellent price, so I bought a few. I also bought my daughter a 2007 calendar. It is Napoleon Dynamite. She loves that movie.

7 comments:

Vi said...

Oh Jeez, what a horrible thing to happen! Nothing more I can say on that front. Make yourself feel better and get those decorations up, Kris. That will get you in the spirit. Worked for me!

always kris said...

Thanks VI. What I need more than anything right now is a hug and shoulder to cry on. I need a good, big, long.....cry. Someone to put their arms around me and let me slobber all over their shoulder and pat my back and tell me "Everything is going to be okay."

Mummy said...

Thats shocking Kris... it has upset me. I know what you mean about your daughter having to deal with this a lot younger than anyone ever thought. I wish I could give you the shoulders to slobber on, id slobber right back on urs too hon. ur daughter will be in shock for a while, that was very very quick eh?

I have ZERO christmas references at my house also , except 1 card!

Sam said...

Your doing better than me, Joie, I've got none! Kris, I know how your feeling, mate, and ditto goes from me what Joie said. I lost a couple of good friends in the last couple of years who were younger than me, puts things into perspective. One was from the Big C and was dead in a year leaving behind two small children. The other, died from an epilitic fit, she was all alone and sufficated as she fell on her front. Big hugs to you, baby.

Anonymous said...

aaaiish! Sisters... too much sadness over there..

cheer up. remember..."life is for the living"

Joe.

Just... Why? said...

We put the tree up on Sunday night and have got most of the pressies for everyone (we're not normally so organised - honest).

Pretty shit luck to go at 33 especially if you're active and keep healthy.

Persian Princess said...

god, that's awful...and frightening that he was so young. I hope your daughter finds some way to deal with it, but am sure that you are a comfort to her.
I have no xmas stuff up at home either, I prefer to leave it until nearer xmas...and I'm also doing all my shopping online so I don't have to contend with the bloody awful queues and crowds in shops! bah humbug ;-)