Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Milestones

In regards to my post and the comments below, I saw a sign in the drycleaners the other day that said: "We will be more than happy to serve you as soon as you hang up." I wish more places would adopt that policy.

Last night was a milestone in my daughter’s life. She and I went shopping for her first Valentine’s Day gift to give to a boy. She is still “seeing” the same boy she has been since before Christmas. He is a cute kid.

He came over to our house Saturday to watch a movie and hang out for a few hours. He has come over a few times before, but my husband has always been at work. Now that hubs isn’t working, he was home this time. Hubs is very apprehensive about his daughter “dating”. It’s not necessarily the boy in general, but the fact that this ‘boy’ likes his little girl. Hubs sat out in the living room with us watching the movie for a while, then he got up and went to our bedroom to watch a basketball game. I went to the bedroom and the first thing my husband said was, “Does she have to lay all over him like THAT?!” I looked at him with a confused look on my face and said, “Like WHAT?!”

At one point this boyis on one end of the couch and our daughter was at the other, but she had her feet propped up on his knees. Later on, she sat beside him, linking her arm through his and put her head on his shoulder. I just laughed. My husband said, “Well I can see that you aren’t going to have ANY boundaries! You aren’t going to leave them out there by themselves ARE you?!?” I am not exaggerating when I say that I can stand in our bedroom doorway and look directly to the couch in the living room. So I went back to the living room and proceeded to tell them that if they heard Hubs coming, then they had best part a little. My daughter looked at me and said, “Dad needs to learn to chill a little bit!” I just smiled.

Later they made cupcakes together in the kitchen. I stayed in there with them just to make sure my kitchen was destroyed. It was fun. I took a bunch of pictures of them. Of course neither one of them would look at me, so they are all ‘action’ shots of them mixing and pouring. That is one of the things that she is giving him for Valentine’s Day, a little photo album with those pictures in it. He is going over tomorrow night (his mom is bringing him) to pick up my daughter, then they are going out to eat and then to his house to exchange Valentine’s. They are going out to eat early before the restaurants are packed. His mom is going to drop them off and then pick them up. My daughter is nervous about it just being the two of them together while they eat. She is like, “What are we going to talk about?!” I told her I wonder the same thing every time her daddy and I go out to eat.

6 comments:

Vi said...

That is such a SWEET post Kris!!!

This is the only time I wished I had a girl! (To share those memories together!)

Just... Why? said...

Hi Kris,
As Vi says, it's a really sweet post and I can totally see how a Mum would get a big kick from seeing her Daughter start out with relationships.

BUT as the fellow Father of a girl (albeit mine's not even three yet!) I can see where your husband is coming from on this (we remember all too clearly what drove US as young men lol)

The one thing I'm dreading most is the time when MD starts dating. I hope I'll not be quite so Victorian Dad as your hubby, but I'm not placing any money on it!

Just... Why? said...

Oh and Happy Valentine's Day - I hope Hubby spoils you rotten, and you'll have the house to yourselves too!

Midnight said...

Tres sweet and a happy valentines day to you, at least it sounds like you will be having one!

always kris said...

I tell my daughter all the time that since God only allowed me to have one child, I was glad it was a girl. I wanted a girl so bad. I got exactly what I wished for.

I am not so naive to not remember what it was like to be a young teenager in love and the things that I used to do with my boyf. That is what scares me JW, I look at her and I think, "She's just a baby! and so was I!"

Sunday when we got home from church, we were all standing in the kitchen talking and my husband said, "I like ______(the boy's name). Did I really just say that outloud?" and my daughter said, "yes. yes you did!" He told her that he trusted her, but if this boy ever hurt her, then it was all over for him! lol Spoken like a true dad.

And no JW, we wont have the house to ourselves. As a favor to friends of our's, he is taking his wife away on a trip for a few days, so we are keeping their daughter for them.

Mid, I have had a great Valentine's. I am not high maintenence and it doesnt take a lot to keep me happy. I love the little things in life.

Anonymous said...

The tv show 'Everyone Loves Raymond' had a hilarious episode when Ray takes his wife out to dinner and they couldnt think of anything to talk about except the kids, in an effort to talk about something else they talked about how good the butter was ... so, tell her next time they go out for tea they can always discuss the butter. (This episode tickled mr trin and my funny bone because we could so relate!)