Thursday, November 09, 2006

Being Good

You really dont realize what wonderful parents you have until you become one yourself. You mother never seemed so smart until the day you turn to her for parenting advice. I must say that my mom did a good job of raising me. Or at least I think she did. Granted my parents were married through all of my high school years, but it was my mom that did a majority of my raising.

As I face the teenage years with a daughter of my own I try to look back and remember how my mom was with me. What did she do that made me want to be so good? I hope I can do as good a job as my mom did.

I still email with my "first love". He is married and has two kids. We have been in touch for many, many years. This is part of an email he sent me the other day: "You better behave going out with the girls with no hubby at home. How long have I known you now? 26 years or so? I know that you are too much of a goodie-goodie to get in trouble. :) "

And its not 26 years, it is only 23. I met him the summer before I turned 14. He was a lifeguard at the local pool. I went to the pool every day. I had a purple bikini. He worn orange swimming trunks that velcroed in the front. Oh yeah, velcro, gotta love the 80's! lol We dated until I was in the 11th grade and he was a freshman in college.

6 comments:

Just... Why? said...

Now if THAT isn't a 'fishing' email then I don't know what is...

You be VERY careful of him Kris (unless you don't want to be, in which case I'm thinking he's easy meat lol)

always kris said...

lol JW. At first I thought you meant I was "fishing". Nope. not going there with him, too many issues. I appreciate your concern.

always kris said...

yeah, that does kind of sound like he dangling bait out there for me to take huh? men! lol ;-)

Ordinary Girl said...

Always nice to be at the end of a fishing line!!

Sure you are a great mum Kris. I'm sure you're girl will look back and think just the same about you as you think about your mum! (When she gets over the terrible teens of course!!)

Persian Princess said...

I'm not even married yet and I worry about whether or not I'll be a good parent, that is if I ever do have children. (and yes Kris - twins do run in the family so god help me!!). My sister is a wonderful mother to my 18-month-old niece, but is terrified of how she'll cope when the twins come along. I tell her that all she can do is her best and that she WILL cope - and I guess that's all we can hope for...to just do our best.
Bet you're a great mum Kris - you sound like a very warm and caring person :-)

always kris said...

Thank you OG and goro for the nice words.

yeah OG, she isnt too keen on me right now. I made her change jeans before school this morning. She didnt like that.

Oh goro I sound so typical when I say this, but it is so true, it all goes so fast. I can think back on so many things I have done or said and I wanted to go back and take them back, or tell myself I will do better at it and then I look at her now and I wonder if I am too late. Makes me sick. I want to cry.