It was four weeks ago yesterday, around 8am. I was sitting here in this exact chair, doing what I am doing right now. I heard a loud engine coming from outside on the street. I thought, "What is that? Its not garbage day. Its a Saturday." I went to the window. I see a firetruck parked out in the street. I see my neighbor directly across the street talking on her cell phone. Pacing. Then the paramedics pull her husband from the passenger side of the van and place him on the ground. He is limp. Pale. Lifeless. Immediately they start doing CPR. Tears came to my eyes. Soon the ambulance came. They were still working on him. They loaded him on to the ambulance and pull away, sirens on. I look out after they have all left. One of his shoes is lying in the driveway. He died that morning. Right there in the driveway, across the street from my house. His wife was taking him to get a haircut. They had plans that day.
Last week a mom picked her 6 year old son from school. It was at the elementary campus of the school my kid attended. About two blocks down the road they stopped at Sonic to get an after school treat. She had an aneurysm sitting in the car, slumped over and died right there, a block from my work. She was 41. A friend of mine who is a policeman was one of the first on the scene. He placed the little boy in his policecar. The little boy was so thrilled to be in a 'real' policecar and was asking all kinds of questions. My friend said he got tears in his eyes watching the little boy. That little boy had no idea how his life was changing at that very second. That mom had plans with her son that afternoon.
Be careful with your days. Dont waste them. Most importantly, take care of those that you love and care about. Dont wonder about what people are going to do for you, go do something for those people. In order to be served, you must first learn to serve. Most importantly, dont say things you dont mean, but make sure you say the things you do mean.
Sunday, October 08, 2006
Plans
Written by:
always kris
at
7:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Granted, it isn't taking me much to cry today, but that post did. In a funny crazy sad and good way.
x
Brings tears to my eyes. I wish more people thought about the things that they do and say.
x
OG, I will cry with you.
Me, wouldnt the world be a better place if more people did?
X to you both.
Wow!!! this sent shivers down my spine.
Post a Comment