Do you ever wonder why we are here? I mean here in blogland. Why are we writing? I guess in a way writing is a tad bit like a competition, wouldn’t you say? Arent we all competing to get people to read our blog? Joe commented the other day about how he was kind of jealous about how many comments a blogger had in comparison to his. Comments are nice. But is that why we write? Do we want to get praise? Or to maybe get attention? What draws us to certain blogs and bloggers? Is it their style of writing? Is it the bond of sharing a common experience? Maybe even a little bit of jealousy, because you really long to be more ‘like” them? Is it for the excitement from all the sexual innuendos they throw in every post? Or better yet the actual sexual experiences that they share? I worry that my writings will soon become too commonplace and boring. I am a down to earth person and I do worry that soon no one will be here reading what I spend my time writing. Does that mean I will stop writing? I doubt it. But then again, I could always go back to playing solitaire.
Growing up I always worried about what other people thought of me. Will they like me? Will they make fun of me? I look back and wish I could have adopted an “I don’t give a shit attitude” younger in life. Always being the “nice one” or the “funny one” is a hard thing to live up to. Last week at work, I spouted something off. I was mad. Later, some of the girls I work with asked me about it. I laughed and apologized. They just laughed and said, “Well we wondered because you are always laughing and in such a good mood. It wasn’t like you at all.” I just smiled. Great. It’s hard to be happy all the time.
Growing up I always worried about what other people thought of me. Will they like me? Will they make fun of me? I look back and wish I could have adopted an “I don’t give a shit attitude” younger in life. Always being the “nice one” or the “funny one” is a hard thing to live up to. Last week at work, I spouted something off. I was mad. Later, some of the girls I work with asked me about it. I laughed and apologized. They just laughed and said, “Well we wondered because you are always laughing and in such a good mood. It wasn’t like you at all.” I just smiled. Great. It’s hard to be happy all the time.
I had a great plan to go home today at lunch, get a load of clothes out of the dryer, put another load in and start a load in the washer. I kind of had too much fun this weekend and didn’t get my chores done. And while I was at home I was also going to get my work out clothes and go to the gym after work. I haven’t been in awhile and I want to get back in the routine. I used to go every day after work and I loved it. But then I get an unexpected phone call and lunch invitation. Of course I take the invite, I didnt want to be rude. I guess that means now that the gym will have to wait until tomorrow. Of course I sit here and tell myself that I will just have to go home and walk on the treadmill. I hope. Yeah, whatever.
I seem to be ready a lot of English blogs, Ordinary Girl, Me, Sleepless and then Joie in New Zealand and Joe in Australia. I have loved reading their blogs and finding new “words”. Take “bully wank” for example or “snog” for another. I had no idea what those meant. Joe explained “bully wank” to me. I think that “snog” means to make out, is that correct? So my question is, are there any American terms that you have heard used that you don’t know what it means? (lol spell check didn’t even recognize “wank” and “snog”)
I don’t like Halloween. I think it’s dumb. I hate dressing up in costumes. Even as a child I didn’t like it. Now I like the candy. Great. Seriously, you all wont believe is! I had just sat here and typed that one sentence, then I went to the breakroom to get a cup of coffee. When I get back to my office, there is a bucket of Halloween goodies on my desk. There is a note inside. It says: “You Have Been BOO’D!” Now I have 24 hours to make two baskets and deliever them to two of my co-workers. Great. I just wanted to go home after work, not shopping for Halloween 'goodies'.
9 comments:
'Snog' actually means 'kiss' and has been used for decades! I think most of the US slang terms are pretty commonplace in UK now and personally I've encountered many 'yanks' through working with the forces over the years.
As for why we blog I think that's entirely personal. I only found out about blogging recently through the Guardian (you can guess which blog), I then read a small selection and thought why not! I think its a bit like a real life soap opera but you can tap into them when you feel like it. My reason for writing is a mix of being intrigued as to the interest it may instigate and the possibility of making new buddies (f or otherwise). I figure if people read my blog they must be either interested or like minded and you can't have too many friends!
Hiya..
hmm many things I dont understand about the States, you need to remember I am from South Africa and have lived in Aus for 3 years, so I'm a good mix of sayings and word uses.
Halloween, never understood what it's about. Saw the movies, but why is it there,, what is it about?
I shoulda mailed you when I got into the office this am at 05h00 that was 4 pm your time!!
Sleepless, what I like about blogs is that we all seem to be on a level playing field. I like that we are all seem connected in some way or another. I like your perspecctive of never having too many friends. I think that is great, especially in other countries huh? lol
Joe, I didnt know where you where from. I wondered if Halloween was just something we "celebrate" here in the States. I dont like it. At all. That is why I was kind of being a party pooper until I was one of the first two to get "Boo'd". Now I must be the ever participating office employee. lol
I agree with the bloggin stuff, one minute i am totally just writing for me, next time i have to delete the "hi" at the top and the "love joie" at the bottom, cos its almost an email to my buds.
FUCK THAT!! thats my answer to the chain letter/candy box thing that your work colleagues left on ur desk... jeez, that would wind me up! (wind up is another brit saying, for being stressed)
I dont need you to write dirty stuff to read ur blog, i have to be in right mind to read dirt ... just checked out sleepless, and started blushing at work, his posts are way dirtier than his comments to you!!
Blogging starts out for personal needs and once people start noticing it, your motivation changes a little bit. People give you different ideas from their comments and then suddenly, you've got an interactive means of sharing your secrets. Once you start realizing that you're not as much of a freak as you think you were, it becomes easier to let loose.
The deviant language among the 'Anglo Nations' has always facinated me. No matter how hard you try, these deviant words somehow make themselves into our daily conversation.
The other day, I used 'Dodgey' in context and my coworkers all stopped and said in unison, 'WTF is Dodgey?'. Uhmm...you guys? Haha, they totally walked into that one!
Yeah I reckon it's great to have friends from other countries, you get to see a different perspective and widen your appreciation of society in general. I guess another reason for me blogging is that guys just don't talk about 'stuff' like women do! So it's a kind of release mechanism. I also find it very intriguing to get a female perspective on things I wouldn't discuss with my female mates in person, although I may do to an extent when I've had too many vinos!
lol Joie @ Sleepless' post making you blush. why do you think I read it?
lol @ Tobi calling me a freak...no not really, I dont think he called me a freak. I know what you mean though. Maybe I am starting to let loose, at least you say I am. What is "dodgey", like dodging the bullet?
TELL ME ABOUT IT SLEEPLESS! Guys are the main reason most women blog. You men are the horrible about communcation, so please blog so that we women might learn all of you guys secrets!
Hey Kris if there is one thing that will probably be consistent in my blogs (and you are probably bored of it already) it is the 'mutual' thing! Mutual in terms of attraction but also in terms of understanding the opposite sex (the Venus and Mars thing)! At least we can mutually help each other with the understanding part if nothing else?
dodgey = Suspect, not quiet right, as in a dodgey deal. That Blokes got Dodgey eyes( he doesnt feel right to me...
The Joy of the Ex- Commonwealth Countriues is that we all speak similar english. I think the Americans and the Canadians have wordw we most likely would not understand. But, thanks to TV we now know them mostly.
Post a Comment