Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Two months...

...from today is Christmas!!!

Yep. Only two months.

How many shopping days is that?

More importantly, how many PAYCHECKS is that?!?!

I can’t believe it. Has anyone started their shopping or even have any ideas about what they are going to purchase? I am having a hard time with my daughter. Preteen is a tough age. They don’t want the cheap stuff anymore and I am not talking about cheap made, I am talking about cheap cost! Her list consists of an iPod w/ case, a tv/dvd player for her room and Ugg boots. Hey! Those boots are from Australia. www.uggaustralia.com Joe? Can you get me a deal? Lol Just kidding. Even it was cheaper to buy them there directly, I am sure the cost would come at shipping them to me in the States huh? What happened to the days of buying her a Barbie and some dollar store makeup and that being good?

I always have to make a list of what it is that I am wanting / needing for Christmas so that my hubby and daughter can run out the week before and try and scrounge it up. That is why I have learned if there is something that I really want, I might as well just buy it for myself.

I am a very practical person. I bet you couldn’t have guess that huh? Lol Yeah, whatever. :-P I would MUCH rather get someone something that they needed for Christmas than just blowing my money on something just in order to ‘say’ I gave them a gift. Do you know what my favorite gift for Christmas was? It was over 10 years ago. My dad had just got remarried, my grandparents (his parents) had both been very ill and in the hospital, my grandfather had just passed just a few months prior and my dad was with out a job. My dad is an only child, so he had had to quit his job in order to care for my grandparents. Needless to say, money was tight, which is usual for any working family, but much more so that year it seemed.

I can remember we all met at my sister’s for a family get-together. My family is a “mixed” family due to divorces and remarriages. If you have never experienced a holiday with a family like that, you are lucky. Then add my husband’s mixed family and we have “family” Christmases every weekend of the month in December and sometimes even in to the New Year. But we had all got together for a dinner. When I walked in I noticed that there were platters of homemade cookies, candies, etc sitting out. My dad walked up to me, picked up a tray with all kinds of goodies on it and handed it to me and said, “Funds were limited this year, but me and (insert stepmom’s name) made you some Christmas candy and cookies.” THAT was the best Christmas I have ever got. Right now, I could not tell you for sure what I got last year for Christmas, but I can still clearly see that platter of goodies in my head.

5 comments:

Mummy said...

ahhh, its got nowt to do with cost eh!? what a lovely gift, now how do u convince a preteen female of that?! impossible

Sam said...

Now I'm hoping what was so great about that gift was it was handmade for you with love? Not that it was sugarloaded??? lol. Only kidding!!!! I know what you mean about xmas shopping. SCARY stuff! (Especially as single mum, trying to compete with single dad.) I've started picking up cheap stuff everytime I shop and hoping EBAY will help with the gameboy games! My god, UGG BOOTS! It was a must for me when I was 10!!!! (Lived in the tropics, could only wear them one week out of the year!)

Ordinary Girl said...

Blimey!!! Christmas!! Bah, thats aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages away!!! (See denial works here too!!)

A lovely post though Kris, and you're right, it's always the thought that counts.

Joe(aka amalemind) said...

HmmI think I have gone down in th efriendship shares hugely lately..

Ugg Boots are made right around the corner from me. Well comparativley speaking anyway. There is a factory shop about ten mins away from me.
Summer is coming so fast. Cant wait. I really dont like the cold. Now if I could just get the folk at work to turn the bloody aircon down a bit. It sooo hot in here.

always kris said...

My daughter is pretty good, usually. She and I have only begun our arguing and it really makes me feel like a bad mom...I need to post on that.

Sam, it had nothing to do with the fact it was a gift of love, it was a gift of SWEETS! Only kidding!!! Of course it had everything to do with the fact that it was LOVEmade! Dont compete with single dad,I have already seen many of the gifts you give your kids...swimming, playing cards. That is what they will remember long after the gifts are opened, broken and in the trash! lol

lol OG...I am in denial with a lot of the same things you are!!!

What do you mean Joe? About friendship stock? Did you get my emails yesterday and the one from today? I love the cold!!! But I dont need $200 boots for it. I didnt say I wouldnt WANT them.lol